Home

About Us

Current Projects

Recent Project List

Service List

History

Contact Us

Building Colorado Since 1889

HISTORY

Brown-Schrepferman & Co. was founded in 1889 by Alexander Brown and Conrad Schrepferman.† Alexander Brown was born in Scotland and came to Denver in 1887 after working in South Dakota, California and Utah.† Conrad Schrepferman was born in Michigan and came to Denver in 1888 and was also a carpenter.† The two met while working on house construction near Clayton School in east Denver in 1888.

 

Their very first contract was to remodel a store building in downtown Denver.† They continued to construct small downtown buildings and houses in the Capitol Hill area until 1902 when they signed their first large contract, the Agnes Phipps Memorial Sanitarium.† This building was taken over by the Federal government in 1933 and became Lowry Field.

 

During the next twenty years they would go on to build the original Denver Country Club building, several sugar factories for the Great Western Sugar Company as well as an extensive remodel of the Morey Mercantile office and warehouse. They also built the Guggenheim buildings at the Colorado School of Mines, Agriculture College of Colorado (now Colorado State University), and Colorado State Teachers College (now University of Northern Colorado) as well as Macky Auditorium, Law Building and the Library and Science building at the University of Colorado.

 

In 1923 Charles M. Brown, James S. Brown, Sr., J. Alvin Schrepferman and Chester M. Schrepferman after many years of hard labor for their fathers, the elder sons of Alexander Brown and Conrad Schrepferman were taken on as partners.† Business continued to grow during this second generation.† Their more notable projects included the construction of Lake Junior High School, two additions to Fairmont Cemetery Mausoleum, Boettcher School for Crippled Children as well as several more buildings at Colorado State University, the University of Colorado and Great Western Sugar Company.

 

In the early 1950ís John Wilson, son-in-law of Charles M. Brown, and James S. Brown, Jr., son of James S. Brown, Sr. became associates.† Some of the projects built during the next 20 years include Hill Junior High School, Rainbow Bread Plant, Denver Tramway Barns, IBM Building and several high rise apartments in the Denver Boulder area.† In 1963 Brown-Schrepferman built the shop building at their current location and in 1967 built the current office building and relocated to it.

 

Construction was booming now and Brown-Schrepferman was right in the heart of it all building new or remodeling many more offices, schools, club houses and other projects such as American Water Works, Lakewood Country Club, Mile High Kennel Club, Mount Airy Hospital, Mount Saint Vincent, Marathon Oil and The Wellshire Inn.

 

Through all the generations and changes that come with them one thing remains the same, personal involvement.† This personal commitment is your assurance of the finest quality service from the beginning of every job to its completion.† It is with this dedication to quality and service that Brown-Schrepferman will continue to build into the next generation and beyond.

Brown-

Schrepferman